During his tenure in Congress, James T. Walsh worked to provide funding and keep Hancock Field active. He appropriated funding for the base as well as was active in the process that saw the F-16s leave the base with MQ-Reaper drones replacing them. Walsh fought to ensure that the commitments that were made to allow the MQ-9 Reaper drones to come to Hancock were not dropped. The files on this process and other work Walsh did to aid the Hancock Field can be found in Series 7, Box 20 (Han-Hot) of the Walsh collection.
The following links are some interesting bits and pieces that can be found in the Hancock files of the Walsh collection.
- Letter from Michael Wynne (Secretary of the Air Force) to Walsh, written by Michael Wynne regarding the status of the 174th Fighter Wing at Hancock Field Air National Base. Walsh wanted to replace the F - 16 with the MQ - 9 Predator B. The Air Force is committed to helping Hancock Field Air National Base to address the challenges of the 21st century.
- Letter to Congressman Walsh from Secretary Wynne in response to the above letter, Walsh is thanking Wynne for his visit to Hancock and is discussing what is mentioned in the above letter about the progress that is being made on the replacement of the F- 16 with the MQ - 9.
- Hancock field MQ - 1 Role , describes the uses for the first of the fighter jets which were stored at Hancock Air Force Base.
- Hancock field MQ - 9 Role, describes the uses for the larger and more lethal fighter jets which were stored at Hancock Air Force Base.
- MQ - 1 and MQ - 9 Capibilities, describes the functions for both the MQ - 1 and the MQ - 9.
Created by Anthony DePrimo for History 419