Friedsam Memorial Library

Friedsam Library was built in 1938. It replaced Alumni Hall's library, which had become too small for the collection. It was made possible by a donation from the Col. Michael Friedsam Foundation. 40,000 volumes needed to be moved from Alumni Hall to Friedsam Memorial Library after the library was built. The "Bucket Brigade," a human chain, was formed from one building to the other. All of the books were moved within eight hours.

The building was designed by architect Chester Oakley in a traditional Italian style to match the rest of the buildings on campus. The exterior is made of Harvard Brick and the roof is made of red Spanish tile. A matching addition was made to the stack area in 1963.

The Library is also known for its remarkable collection of Franciscan literature, perhaps the best in the Western Hemisphere. This is housed in the Holy Name Library for the Franciscan Institute which opened in 2008.

For more information about the Friedsam Memorial Library, click here.
Return to the Walking Tour Homepage.

Previous stop:
Butler Gymnasium

Next stop:
Magnano Centre

Last updated: July 11, 2018