Butler Gymnasium

Butler Gym was opened in 1918 and named after Fr. Joseph Butler, the University President from 1887-1911. The oldest surviving building on campus, it was built on the site of an apple orchard, which was cut down to make way for the new structure. At the time of its opening, it was a state of the art recreational facility. It housed a basketball court, a swimming pool in the basement, and a suspended track on the second floor. The swimming pool was later filled in. During WWI, Butler Gym was used as the headquarters for the Students Army Training Corps, similar to today's ROTC. During the summer, from 1952-1957, the Pittsburgh Steelers used the Butler Gym for training. It now serves as a home for fine arts programs.

For more information about Butler Gymnasium, click here.
Return to the Walking Tour Homepage.

Previous stop:
Quick Arts Center

Last updated: July 11, 2018