Photo courtesy of D. Higley in the SBU construction office.
The Walsh building “houses state-of-the-art computer science, laboratory and classroom space, biology labs, organic and general chemistry labs, a Natural World lab, a 150-seat indoor amphitheater, and faculty offices integrated with lab space for better student-teacher accessibility.” (Press Release, 8/27/2008) In addition to the construction of Walsh, De La Roche Hall, the oldest academic building on campus, was extensively renovated in order to bring its facilities up to date. Not only are the two buildings better equipped to teach the sciences; they also employ green technologies in order to run more efficiently. Both buildings now use groundwater for their cooling systems, reducing the energy required for air conditioning by about 84%. An interesting design feature is the Black Oak wall in the lower level hallway. For more information, see this page.
The Walsh building is named for William F. Walsh, a 1934
graduate of St. Bonaventure, mayor of
William Francis Walsh was born in 1921, in
Mr. Walsh has seven children, and was honored with an honorary Doctor of Civil Law degree by St. Bonaventure University in 1970.
|William Francis Walsh|
Dedication of the William F. Walsh Science
Center, 27 August 2008.
Participants are (from left): Michael Fischer, provost and vice president for academic affairs;
Very Rev. John O’Connor, O.F.M., University trustee; Donna Brestensky, chair of the chemistry department;
Fr. Peter Schneible, O.F.M., biology professor; U.S. Rep. James T. Walsh;
Sr. Margaret Carney, O.S.F., University president; Robert Crowley, co-chair of the 2008 Bonaventure Fund ;
Steve Stahl, dean of Arts and Sciences; Fr. Fred Link, O.F.M., University trustee;
Fr. Dan Riley, guardian of the friary and Mt. Irenaeus; and Leslie C. Quick III, University trustee.
Due to health concerns, William F. Walsh was unable to attend the dedication.
(Photo courtesy of D. Higley in the SBU Construction office.)
Last updated: 04/04/2016