Magnano Entrance  

The Magnano Centre encompasses the dining complex at the university. It is an entryway for Hickey Dining Hall, Cafe La Verna, and the Rathskellar. The entryway provides a weather barrier for the building. It was named after Patricia and Louis Magnano who donated over two million dollars to the 150th anniversary campaign. The first million dollars was donated on August 13, 2007, which was used to support the Enchanted Mountain scholarships and maintenance of the Magnano Centre. The rest of the two million dollar donation was used to fund the Anniversary Campaign and provided monetary gifts for the Bonaventure Fund, the University's annual giving campaign. The Magnano Centre was dedicated on October 2, 2008.

Groundbreaking and Dedication for the Magnano Centre, October 2008
From Left: Sr. Margaret Carney, President of St. Bonaventure, Louis Magnano, Patricia Magnano, and John r. McGinley, Jr., Chairman of the Board of Trustees.

Louis Magnano was born on October 10, 1931. In 1956, he built the Blue Bird Coach Lines with his father. Magnano was president of the company until 1998 when he sold the line to Coach USA. As a young man, Magnano drove the buses that transported the St. Bonaventure basketball team and fans to and from games. Magnano was responsible for the center-court scoreboard at Bob Lanier Court in the Reilly Center arena. He was also president and CEO of Park Centre Development, which he created in the 1960s. Louis Magnano spent his life making the Olean area a better place, because he believed in enhancing the quality of life of the community that he was a part of. His generosity contributed to Olean General Hospital, the local recreation center, Jamestown Community College, St. Bonaventure University, and many more. Louis Magnano was a University trustee from 1993 to 2001, and received an honorary doctorate degree in 1997. Magnano passed away on April 4, 2011.

Previous Memorials Index Next

The St. Bonaventure University Home Page

Last updated: 05/22/2019